Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Force of Nature

I've recently been told by two people - who have nothing more than the most passing knowledge of one another - that I am like “an unstoppable force of nature.”

*blink* *blink*

I’m what?
The first time I heard it, it came with this sort-of explanation: “you have a way of making total fuck into something cool … You’re chaos and calm at the same time. It’s kinda weird to be around. Like, I think I want to run, but staying is gonna be so much better… so I do.”

The second time I heard it, the context was very different and meant to be much less flattering(?) than the first. It was delivered with something just barely this side of unconcealed malice. In this variation on the theme, it was said that I “race around with total disregard for anyone else’s feelings” but my own.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that part of my “charm” is my unpredictability. But even I’M not THAT bipolar. Frankly, both of these confuse me the hell out of me, though admittedly in some odd, fractional way, I can almost see both sides.

I do actually execute life plans most people can’t imagine – whimsically and with much haste. I do say things people don’t want to hear when they need to be said. These traits come naturally to me; as though I carry a freaky little chromosome that sets change in motion irrespective of whether or not anyone else is ready for it.

So, here’s my take on this madness. Though there may be some hidden validity in each, the comment comes from two very different places. I think the first sees a swath cut but appreciates that some people only exist for the briefest of moments, and with a purpose. It’s the purpose, not the person, which should be reckoned with.

I suppose the second might not be comfortable on a rocking boat, though doesn't seem to have any trouble pointing out when waves are being made. Keeping the peace and everyone in a specific place ensures that when life goes to hell, it’s easy to raise eyebrows at the appropriate person without the dirty hands. Seems like a good approach to me, in retrospect. Point a finger while wearing a glove. Wouldn’t want to dirty the hands by being caught standing on the side of a spoken truth.

Either way, they have this in common: both see exactly, and only, what they need to see, when they need to see it – for whatever reason. Life changes very quickly around any force of nature, and it’s impossible to predict the outcome. Does that make you nervous? Check the winds…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog