Monday, March 1, 2010

March Madness

I had this idea… The plan was to post something here every day in March. Every day. When I first dreamed up this obviously ill-conceived idea, it seemed totally plausible. After all, it’s not unusual for me to write a couple thousand words a day. All I had to do was tear these into bite-sized pieces for easy digestion.

Right. Flaws a-plenty. There are reasons I don’t post thousands of words at a time. The first is for you, Dear Reader. I figure anyone can enjoy 400-600 words in a sitting, but you find yourself staring down the barrel of losing 5+ minutes of your day, and you’re out. Hey, I’m not judging. I get it.

The second reason comes directly from my shameless ego. The stuff I cut in editing is crap. Oh sure, it seems brilliant as my fingers fly across the keyboard and I giggle along. Unfortunately, what I discover during the editing process is that about two-thirds of what goes on in my head is a big swing… and a bigger miss. Why would I subject you to that?

I always wanted to be one of those women in movies who kept a secret box filled with dusty journals hidden in the back of the attic or under the bed. She wrote in them every day of her life and her entire history was saved on those pages. I know that somewhere I have a couple of random hardcovers with the first few pages written in them from equally random years. Apparently I just don’t have the wherewithal to commit to immortalizing my life. OR…. More likely it's the memory of my sibling’s mother screeching in a drunken tirade not to ever put anything in writing.

[sidebar: Ladies and Gentlemen, this is true of texting, email, or little Post-It notes. Don’t write it if you’re not going to own it. These things have a way of resurfacing at the most inopportune moments. *blinks*]

Back to the March Madness idea. After careful mulling, I’ve decided that if I’m not interested enough to give daily insight by updating my Facebook status, I can’t possibly make this idea a success.

 I “finished” this entry – meaning I blinked several times and decided I didn’t have anything more to say – when I got distracted by a new idea! How about a separate page? Just for March. So I switched computers and quickly elevated March Madness. Click the link on the right beneath For One Month Only to get there. Let’s see if I can hold my own attention for 31 days.

1 comment:

  1. We can't comment on the new page, FYI... The yoga thing is your own fault, you know. You should simply adopt my motto when it comes to exercise: No pain, no pain. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog