Friday, December 10, 2010

Ah, the Romance

I. Watch. Too. Many. Romantic. Movies.

I’ve seen a lot of tragedy in my life – the vast majority of which was completely out of my control. For a control freak like me, that’s a tough nut. Nonetheless, those are the facts. That said, one would think I could do a better job controlling the things I can… like not watching romantic movies.

I figure these are written by women who, just like me, want to live in this crazy fantasyland where, through a series of serendipitous circumstances, whatever it is we want most in this world can be ours. I know it’s completely irrational and that spending even a minute hoping it’s possible is a minute wasted.

But still…

I dedicate hours on end to classics like Philadelphia Story (though in my defense, it’s one of the best movies ever produced) His Girl Friday, Sabrina (the original) and Adam’s Rib. I can spend entire weekends watching the romance-a-thon on Turner Classic Movies.

But I’m not a romance snob…

I grab a tissue box to watch The Lake House every time it comes on just to wrap myself in the feeling of true dedication to a relationship.

And who in their right mind wouldn’t pop some corn to watch When Harry Met Sally, You’ve Got Mail, Kate & Leopold – or any Meg Ryan romantic comedy for that matter? You know those are always heading for an uplifting and hopeful end.

Love Actually, My Best Friend’s Wedding, Notting Hill, High Fidelity, About a Boy, Did You Hear About the Morgans?, Dying Young, Autumn in New York, The Truth About Cats and Dogs, Serendipity. Oh! The Holiday! *swoons*

Really, I could name thousands.

It’s a freakin’ sickness with me, these movies. Part escapism, part wishful thinking, part artistry and part hopeful romantic… I just keep curling up on the sofa to watch, knowing perfectly well that in the end, I’ll only be one of two things: hopeful, or wrung-out depressed.

I wonder how many of the romantic comedies are written by men, and of those, how many are married? Are they all full of witty banter and graceful handling at home, or are they just a bunch of schmuggs?

I’m not sure how to go about breaking this bad habit, though frankly, I’m not convinced I really want to give up on the possibilities these movies present. Sure, it’s completely unrealistic to think those wonderful scenarios can play out in real life… but if someone thought to write it, surely it's not completely impossible.

*sighs*

Now that I’m done with that topic, this seems like a good time to talk about popcorn. How about giving up the non-biodegradable microwave popcorn bags and try this. Get a lunch sack, fill it with a ½ cup of popcorn kernels, fold the top over twice (do not clip or staple or do anything else stupid). Pop it into the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until the popping is down to 2-3 per second. Now top with about a pound of real butter and salt it like crazy! Voila!

1 comment:

  1. Good call on the Meg Ryan romantic comedies Jana, I've watched them all many times over the years and I never get tired of them :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog