Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ohhh, Yoga!

Super cute, shaggy-haired yoga instructor guy falls out of one-legged chair pose, laughs and says, "it's okay to fall. Balance is a day-to-day thing. Don't worry so much about it!"

Pretty sure when those words left his lips in an effort to cover the fact that he wasn't paying much more attention than the rest of us, he didn't realize what he was saying intinsically, or how it resonated in my head... or why after being incessantly coaxed and harangued to smile through yoga, I finally had a reason to.

My inner bitter skeptic immediately had a question, "is it then okay to assume that unbalance is a day-to-day thing as well?" After all, this could be really good news!

I would have asked out loud except only my dogs would have heard me since I've taken to doing yoga via cable television.

There are several reasons I quit going to an actual yoga class. Time, work, lack of dedication, my endless need to clean stuff, the "air of communal gas" that permeates the yoga studio and leaves me unable to hold poses due to sometimes uncontrollable laughter.

Yes. I laugh when people break wind. I don't care how old or sophisticated you become, it's still just funny. Made even more so by a room full of people doing it. In case you've not had this particular life experience, yoga works the muscles in such a way as to alleviate bodily gases - which is no laughing matter - until I start thinking about marching bands... woodwinds... tubas... an occasional toot from the brass section.

This combined with the fact that those people frown upon my ever-present coffee go-cup and ability to sip while in downward facing dog - well, it was all quite enough for me.

Besides, in my living room there are no witnesses to my day-to-day unbalance... which I've decided is okay even without confirmation from super cute, shaggy-haired yoga instructor guy!

Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear God! Not you too!!! Yoga? Really???! Now, I'm one of those people that could care less what anyone else does to get their jollies, as long as it doesn't involve kicking puppies in the rain. But for Pete's sake, can we all stop with the yoga already? I am sick to death of skinny bitches trying to tell me that all they do is bend over for an hour and drink grass to be skinny bitches. I'm not buying it so don't try to sell it. And what the hell does it mean to be 'centered'? I'll punch you dead center in the kisser and see how serene you are then. And why do I have to learn how to breathe? Don't I do that already? Have I been doing it wrong since day one? Jeez! I've been doing Downward Dog since the 80's and it just hurt my head, all that banging on the headboard and such. Salute the sun? What the hell for? All it ever did for me was give me wrinkles. Yeah, it grows food and stuff but that's its job. I'm not about to start congratulating it just for showing up. Pisses me off that I have to be quiet and thoughtful while twisting my hips and grunting and that's all without anyone buying me dinner first! Gweneth Paltrow named her kid Apple and she loves yoga. Figures! Stupid yoga. But hey, sounds like you enjoy it so God bless. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!? I'm using yoga solely as an "out" for not participating in REAL exercise! As for being "centered," as far as I'm concerned that's the feeling I get when I don't trip off my barstool!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog