Thursday, March 26, 2009

Footprints

Do you ever think about your footprint? Not the one you leave in the sand, or the kind left behind from walking through wet grass. No, more the kind that you leave at the end of your life. Some will do it by meaningful career; many by children; a legacy of some sort. But what if you won’t leave those impressions? What is the long-term relevance of living a life that serves no obvious purpose?

Introspective examination. Not really something I subscribe to or recommend. But at some point one must find that purpose – that direction – that turns all of the struggle and challenge into events not solely for survival, but events which create a life of personal satisfaction.

We all want to make our mark before we move on to the next thing. To do or be something or someone that leaves a lasting resonance. Something noble. Someone purposeful. When we look behind at our life’s walk, what will we see? What will you see?

There is no nobility or purpose in spending too much time scrutinizing this idea. We know, instinctively, whether or not we will leave a footprint of impact. For those who have never contemplated this, it’s obvious that it’s not an actual question. For those of us for whom the answer is less clear, it’s a matter of whether or not this abstract concern is, in reality, a concern at all.

Life is not kind to those who wallow in the injustice of late-coming self-realization. Life becomes the thing that we do; not the thing that we live. There are too many dependencies; too many responsibilities; too little time; too few resources, and eventually, too little strength.

I’ve said before that my own life has too many nouns which require too many verbs to spend much time trying to squeeze in a few adjectives. It's sophistry to believe that if I were to focus on adjectives I could somehow also situate the horror of the nouns.

I have no idea what path my footprints were supposed to take. When I look back, I see no method to the madness. It almost looks like dancing. Interesting… I’d like to know what you see… That said, I’ve decided to listen to my good friend Jenn and stop with all the boring crap I’ve been posting and “get back to the funny good stuff like your old blog when you make fun of yourself and your life.” Okay. Done and done. Go with what you know!

1 comment:

  1. When I was younger, I wanted to leave my footprints in the sands of time... Now I just want to cover my tracks.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog