Tuesday, March 1, 2011

We Don't Talk Anymore

Oh, there are words leaving mouths at breakneck speed, but no one seems to be saying anything of decipherable relevance.

I think we have two very opposite social groups participating in this phenomenon. One seems to be so afraid of ruffling feathers or being perceived as actually taking a stand in opposition of someone else, that nothing is being said when the words are finally uttered. I’m exhausted from trying to figure where these people stand; trying to ferret out meaning from a stream of “politically correct” euphemisms and random acronyms or abbreviations.

The other is compiled of sneaks, schemers, and social-climbers who are talking non-stop about anything and everything that has absolutely nothing to do with them. Gossip, innuendo, half-truths, and brazenly made up bullshit fabricated or passed along in an effort for the teller to feel or appear important in their crowd. Sadly, from time to time you will discover a supposed friend in this mix. I did. It sucks.

*sighs and shrugs*

I do not gossip. Oh I enjoy a laughter-filled round of speculation over a shared bottle of wine as much as the next girl, but I’d never try to pass it off as truth.

I do not tell other people’s stories.

Just so we’re clear, there are many, many times I’ve been absolutely giddy with the opportunity to share a scandalous piece of verifiable information with the world because someone involved kicked my Universe in the ribs.

But I don’t.

Not because I consider myself above that sort of behavior or think I’m better than any other schmoe. Neither of these is true! My reasoning is more selfish.
  1. I know that if I sit on something for just a little while, I’ll discover I really don’t care, so why get involved?
  2. I don’t have much more than a passing interest in people who don’t affect me.
  3. If they do affect me, it’s much more interesting to watch The Universe take out its own revenge rather than get all dirty myself.
In some respects, I’m a willing participant of my own complaint. It’s not that I’m concerned about ruffling feathers or seeming undiplomatic… obviously! I just see no redeeming value in the exercise of making my point to those whose agenda isn’t public. If I had that kind of time, I’d wash my car…

I used to wonder why so few people are willing to take a defiant stand in solidarity of truth and friendship; and the gross number who remain “neutral” when unfortunate circumstances befall their friends. Are these people so self-involved that they don’t see how in not taking a stand, they are taking one?

But I’m past the marveling.

Now I say, so what? The Neutrals have to live with themselves as spineless followers and that’s enough for me. As for the rest, I can’t change the weak-willed and silent conformists. I can only leave them behind.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You nailed it on the head. I was thinking of one and only one person while reading this blog...your ex. He screwed me over by not having the balls to say anything in fear of hurting feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Anonymous, when it comes to "my ex" you'd have to be more specific! There's a long line of men in that parade... Nonetheless, here's to your speedy recovery! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Still Anonymous,
    I received your latest missive and here's the thing. My crap, my opinions, my lunacy - that's all mine to share. I put it out there and let people openly mock my choices, lifestyle, vodka and coffee consumption.

    I do rather have to assume that since you read this entry to begin with, you have a firm grasp of the fact that I don't deal in other people's whatnots. Particularly, and don't take this as an insult when it's truly an observation, you're hiding behind anonymity. So even if I were given to recklessly involving myself where I have no business, it would hardly be fair to do so when the playing field is less than level.

    I DO appreciate that you're reading my crazypants rants! There's a whole new level of "someone get her a fancy white jacket with extra long sleeves" coming soon. You don't wanna miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "There are some who only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts." - Voltaire

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog